Dave Riley is most well-known as the bassist for Big Black. Dave's first Chicago punk band was Savage Beliefs, and he also performed with End Result. Riley suffered a stroke in 1993. Reports of a failed suicide attempt or a drug overdose were patently untrue; there is a history of early stroke on his mother's side of his family. Riley documents the period immediately after his stroke in a well-written blog.
- Moved to Chicago in 1982, from Detroit
- Played in a Detroit band called Static for about two weeks, with John of Negative Approach
- Steve asked him to join Big Black in 1984, finally started practicing in February 1985
- First time he met Santiago Durango was in the Cubby Bear bathroom while Durango was throwing up.
- Produced End Result's 12" EP Ward
- Riley has written many short stories and released one book - Blurry and Disconnected
- After Big Black, Riley was in Bull and Miasma of Funk