Barry Stern was a notable figure in both the Chicago punk and metal scenes. Barry started out as the drummer and vocalist for Zoetrope. Although Zoetrope's music was more metal than punk, the band frequently played shows with many of the city's top punk and hardcore bands throughout the '80s and Barry and Zoetrope guitarist Kenny Black helped produce the first Life Sentence record. In 1988, after 10 years and two LPs with band, Barry quit Zoetrope and joined Chicago's doom metal legends, Trouble. He recorded two Rick Rubin-produced albums with Trouble before parting ways with that group, too. In the mid '90's, Barry filled in on drums for a tour for the English metal band Cathedral. In recent years, Barry formed the band D-Connect, for which he sang, and performed with Debris, Inc., the punk project put together by Saint Vitus guitarist Dave Chandler and former Trouble bassist Ron Holzner. Sadly, Barry passed away in April of 2005 following complications from hip replacement surgery.
- Zoetrope - Amnesty LP (Combat Records 1985) - Drums/Vocals
- Zoetrope - Life Of Crime LP (Combat Records 1987) - Drums/Vocals
- Trouble - Trouble LP (Def American Records 1990) - Drums
- Trouble - Manic Frustration LP (Def American Records 1992) - Drums
- Debris Inc - Debris Inc. CD (Rise Above (UK)/Candlelight Records (USA), 2005) - Drums (guest)