O'Banion's was one of the oldest and longest running of the original punk clubs. Located on Clark St. and Erie, O'Banion's opened its doors in June of 1978. From time of its opening until its closing on February 3rd 1982, the time during O'Banions operation was often considered to be the zenith of the original Chicago punk movement. After O'Banions closing, the scene transformed to larger venues, more people and less of a close-knit community.
Every year, the members of the original O'Banion's scene have a reunion weekend in honor of their fallen venue. In 2005, the reunion took place at Club Foot and the musical portion was at The Note - acts such as the The Swingers, Tu Tu & The Pirates and Bonemen of Barumba played reunion shows.
- Address - 661 N. Clark
- Phone # - (312) 664-8585
- Hours - Open from 7am to 4am
Despite the swankiness of its current River North location, the area at the time of O'Banion's was something far different. Previous to it's incarnation as Chicago's #1 punk venue, O'Banion's building occupied a wide array of seedy businesses.
- The McGovern Saloon
- The Liberty Inn (Chicago's largest strip club in the 1950s)
- A lesbian bar
- A "rough" gay bar named PQs
- Roseann - Bar
- Nancy Rapchak - DJ
- Everett - Manager
- The bartender would play Sham69's Sunday Morning Nightmare to let the patrons know that the crowd is shifting from a gay clientèle to a punk clientèle.
- Santiago Durango and Marko Pezzati first met at O'Banions - later forming Naked Raygun
- October 5, 1980 - Strike Under, Six Feet Under
- February 23, 1981 - Naked Raygun, Silver Abuse
- June 24, 1981 - The Fix, The Subverts, Red Squad
- June 29, 1981 - Naked Raygun
- July 1, 1981 - Strike Under
- July 23, 1981 - Naked Raygun
- August 3, 1981 - Minor Threat, Youth Brigade, Necros
- August 5, 1981 - Husker Du
- August 29, 1981 - Effigies
- September 5, 1981 - Strike Under
- September 18, 1981 - The Dead Kennedys
- October 1, 1981 - Husker Du, Six Feet Under
- October 16-17, 1981 - Strike Under, Trouts, Direct Drive, Tense Experts
- October 29, 1981 - Direct Drive, T.S.O.L.
- October 31, 1981 - T.S.O.L., Naked Raygun, The Subverts
- November 1, 1981 - T.S.O.L., Direct Drive
- December 12, 1981 - Direct Drive
- December 31, 1981 - Naked Raygun, Trial by Fire
- January 8, 1982 - The Subverts, Direct Drive
- January 22, 1982 - Toxic Reasons, Articles of Faith
- January 23, 1982 - Toxic Reasons