Da was an early Chicago punk band with traces of goth, Velvet Underground, and funk. Da's gender balance was initially 3 women and 1 man, and then later 2 and 2. This was (and remains) unusual.
Singer/bassplayer Lorna Donley wrote most (all?) of the lyrics, and sang them with an effective, aggresive, dark tone. Her melodic bass parts were generally alert and clever. Guitar players Gaylene Goudreau and David Thomas not only played with great complementarity, they were also actually interesting to watch in live performance. Dawn Fisher completed the distaff majority contributing a basic but relentless drum section. Later Bob Furem replaced Fisher, and most at the time agreed that he added a needed shot of energy.
- Lorna Donley - Vocals, Bass
- Gaylene Goudreau - Guitar
- David Thomas - Guitar
- Dawn Fisher - Drums (early) (Drums on Dark Rooms)
- Bob Furem - Drums (later)
Coolest Retard #23, reported that there were 4 different lineups of Da. The earliest version had an "Eva" on guitars, keyboards and vocals instead of Dave. The final lineup noted is Lorna, with a "Jed" on drums and "other parts unknown". It is doubtful whether this lineup ever actually performed as Da. "Jed" was Jed Fox, and the two worked with unknown guitar players until finally settling on Philip Galanter, forming a three piece band called Silent Language.
- Dark Rooms 7" 45 (Autumn Records, May? 1981)
- A. Dark Rooms
- B. White Castles
- Time Will Be Kind 12" EP (Autumn Records, 1982)
- 1. Next to Nothing
- 2. Strangers
- 3. Silent Snow
- 4. Three Shadows
- 5. This Doubt
- Busted at Oz (Autumn Records, 1981) - Live versions of "The Killer" and "Fish Shit".
- Da inteview from Coolest Retard #20, 1981
- KFTH's Da page and
- Obik's Da Album cover
- Timothy Powell recorded both Busted at Oz, and Time Will Be Kind. He still lists this on his companies home page even though his Metro Mobile Recording has been big and important for years now.
- Dark Rooms 45 jacket from www.collectorscum.com
- Complete jacket and sleve photos from Busted at Oz from www.petdance.com